I don't think it does to be too fussy about what is 'river' and what is
'sea' and what is 'estuary'.

Near where I live, a hydrologist would classify the Hudson River as
'estuary' as far as http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/90929525 because it
has a measurable tide right up to that point. Nevertheless, it's fresh
water (the salt front is at least 100 km downstream even in a dry summer),
The actual meeting of river (which, by then, is indeed salt) and ocean is
another 100 km downstream from there.

The locals would be astonished if you were to claim that the bank of the
Hudson River is 'seacoast', even if it has a tide and ships of considerable
size can navigate the river as far as the Port of Albany. A hydrologist
would say, "well, technically, that's correct" and the locals would roll
their eyes.