sent from a phone

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 01:06, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> because UNCLOS allows countries to specify a baseline separate from the
> coastline that encloses parts of the sea/ocean (thereby making those parts
> internal waters of the country) .

I thought the baseline was generally separate from the actual coastline. It is
an administrative construct, while this thread is about natural features.
Internal waters, territorial waters , exclusive sea zones, they're all about
political and economical power and benefit, not about natural
geologic/geographical configurations.

> If we follow the practice of mapping the coastline along the claimed baseline
> like in the Rio de la Plata elsewhere in the world, then the Gulf of Sidra in
> Libya[1] would be considered as an inland waterbody

I didn't know about the practice of mapping the coastline along the baseline,
AFAIK we don't map the baseline, only their 12nm offset (maritime borders)

cheers,
Martin