On 03/30/2017 07:43 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+...@gmail.com <mailto:kevin.b.kenny+...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Obviously, if we are using the node for other purposes, we may
    need to disambiguate with stop:direction=* or
    give_way:direction=*, just as we do with other ambiguously-named tags.

    I'm having a hard time picturing any case where this couldn't
    work. It doesn't involve measuring distances to intersections,
    trying to divine from a sign placement beside a way what it means
    for traffic on the way, or any other weird preprocessing.

Well, every instance where the restriction only applies to one direction, because nodes lack direction.
Yes. Nodes lack direction. Ways do have direction. Traffic arrives at a node along a way. 'direction=*' indicates that the restriction applies to any way arriving at the node in the given direction, relative to the way it arrived on.

Did you even read what I wrote earlier?