Am 02.05.2017 um 11:05 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
Hi,

    I have removed three very large multipolygons from OSM today.

* I DELETED a "place=sea" for the Adriatic Sea
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4590486) because I think we
shouldn't even start with that kind of thing (place=ocean name=Atlantic
anyone?).

I don't concur. True, it's very disputable where to draw the boundaries but sea areas have long-standing and daily used names the same way as other named places with vague extent (forrests, mountains (not peaks), desserts, meadows, neighbourhoods to name a few). So why not sea areas? In fact, I am missing more of these. I have often tried to look up such features and had to resort to Google maps to find out.

Maybe it's wiser to use a place node (like Skaggerak http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4789456526#map=9/57.8572/8.9511) than an area but I would not delete the information completely.

Tobi