> On Jul 15, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Svavar Kjarrval <sva...@kjarrval.is> wrote:
>
> Just to be clear: Is it valid, in your opinion, to connect the end of a
> footway along a street, directly to the street itself?

If the street becomes the route, I say yes, especially if there is no
reasonable barrier to prevent pedestrians from continuing.

In some cases, there are barriers to stop to stop any kind or traffic. In other
cases, one side ends and the other continues, meaning peds would reasonably
cross there to access the other sidewalk (providing there is no reasonable
zebra crossing nearby, a situation the occurs in my suburban-rural area
frequently), which would the. Require an unmarked crossing.

 But If you are walking on the sidewalk and it abruptly ends (especially if it
makes some affordance to transition you onto the shoulder, like a taper or a
break in the curb to allow cyclists free passage) - then by all means! The road
is now the way you are traveling on, not the sidewalk - which up until 3 meters
before, could have been a curb, hedge, and fence separated way!

Javbw.