On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 03:20:31PM +0200, Daniel Koć wrote:
> W dniu 08.08.2017 o 12:07, Daniel Koć pisze:
> >I've just found that length=* tag is quite closely connected to waterways
> >(almost 72% uses):
> >
> >https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/length#combinations
> >
> >Taginfo does not show such combination with rivers (it probably omits
> >anything <1000 uses), but it's 446 lines already:
> >
> >http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/qS7
>
> Looks like a "distance" tag is better than "length" when it comes to long
> objects like rivers, so I would recommend it in waterway Wiki pages instead.
> We have 915 such uses with waterways:

I know that you want save some computing power but nothing should be easier
to compute than the length so encouraging mappers to add their own estimates
doesn't seem like the best idea. The 915 uses possibly have a special purpose?

However if there is something like "official_length" of a river (for example
mentioned in wikipedia) that could be certainly tagged.

Other tags that might help are those relating to ships.

Richard