With building:part you are actually describing 3D volumes. These volumes don't necessarily start at ground level, but ideally should not intersect in 3D. As you can see in the Simple 3D building specification, you can set a "building:min_level" and "min_height" to "raise" a certain part from ground level to its appropriate starting height. So in your case of a large single story ground level part, and a smaller top section, you could set building:min_level and min_height tags on the part for the smaller section to raise it above the large section/part, which in that case should NOT be a multipolygon.

Of course, like you suggested, there is the alternative solution of creating a multipolygon and setting the higher part to start at ground level as well by not specifying building:min_level and min_height, and that would be correct too in terms of non-intersecting 3D volumes, but the first solution without multipolygon seems more logical in this case (unless the higher part was in reality a true separate section starting at a ground level, e.g. office, within a larger structure, in which case it might make sense to use the MP option if you would like to tag function on the building:part as well).

Marco