> the main question :
> it is a waste_basket or vending_machine ?
> the main function is related to bags.
> the bin is useful only after you get a bag.
> if you don't have a bag, you can not use the dedicated bin.
> therefore the few that I have taged have :
> amenity = vending_machine
> vending = excrement_bags
> bin=yes

in case it is a dedicated bin you are right. Around here, these are all
usual bins and you can throw "anything" into them, not just poo. Nowadays
(and where I can tell), people walking their dog usually have a bag with
them, so even if the bin would be dedicated to dog poo, they still could
use it. On the other hand, AFAIK you can throw your dog's poo also in any
other non-dedicated bin.
If we look how many people are possibly looking for dog poo bag dispensers
(all dog owners), these are significantly fewer than those potentially
looking for a bin (everybody). But if you imagine how many people will use
a map (cellphone, app, etc.) to look for a bin, and how many for a poo bag
dispenser, it seems more likely that the latter case happens (unless you
are in a low waste bin density area). Some mappers will prefer focussing on
mapping generic infrastructure, other will prefer mapping things
specifically for animal owners, and both have good arguments on their side.

I don't think the "main function" discourse will bring us any further, we
have had this in the past (and it brought us "path" ;-) ), and we've moved
away from it for a reason. The "main function" depends on you and on your
life.

No need to add to tag fragmentation by creating new properties for
indirectly mapping things, better use dedicated objects for things and map
them explicitly, this removes ambiguity and makes it easier to amend them
with more detail later.

Cheers,
Martin