On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Christoph Hormann <o...@imagico.de> wrote:

> This is just a question on editors managing that.  Right now the
> inheritance of IDs is usually not a conscious choice of the mapper but
> if this is deemed desirable this could be changed.
>
> [...]
>
> OSM recruits mappers to map the verifiable
> world, we do not require them to also research secondary source
> references in wikidata to make sure they correctly maintain wikidata
> IDs.

So you want us to develop OSM tools and improve editors to preserve and
manage OSM ID inheritance/permanence. But this is not a simple problem to
solve.

On the other hand, you deem maintenance of Wikidata IDs in OSM a huge
bother. But we can create OSM tools and improve editors as well to help
manage this. I imagine that this is a simpler problem to solve than the
first problem of OSM ID permanence.

Also, we don't require mappers to add wikipedia=* tags to objects they map
in OSM, or to maintain these Wikipedia tags so that they remain accurate
and updated. Other mappers are free to update and maintain these tags. This
is accepted practice and there is no huge outcry against adding more
wikipedia=* tags.

This accepted practice with respect to wikipedia=* tags can be equally
applied to wikidata=* tags. We won't require mappers to do research to add
this tag, but other mappers are free to add/maintain these as well. I see
no huge problem with this.