On 2018-01-14 17:41, OSMDoudou wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Osmose is giving an error at many places around the R50 trunk with
> reason "access=yes|permissive allow all transport modes" and
> additional info "Including ski, horse, moped, hazmat and so on, unless
> explicitly excluded". For example, this way [1] has the error [2].
>

> The road is clearly signed as forbidden to pedestrians, bikes and
> moped. [3]
>

> I'm not sure how to improve the tagging to resolve the error.
>

> Should I remove the entire "access" tag ?
>

> Or set it to something else, like "access=designated" ? The road is
> not designated as for motor vehicles only and hazmat is not forbidden,
> but if care enough for you horse, you wouldn't let it go there :-) and
> nobody in his right mind would try to go ski there even on snowy days… :-)
>

> What do you suggest ?

Access tags are only needed when they contradict a wider scope access
tag or rule.
access=yes is never necessary when there is nothing forbidding general
access (the highest scope).
Just like bicycle=yes is not needed when no other tag or rule forbids
bicycles.
But in access=no bicycle=yes, it is needed because allowing bicycles
contradicts forbidding all traffic.

Although there is no nuisance allowing with *=yes what is already
allowed, I advise to remove them because many contributors do their
mapping by copying the tags of similar cases. And those too many
unnecessary *=yes are not exactly teaching them this fundamental, very
basic rule of the access tags: they are confusing.
(it's a pity to find a whole list of bicycle=yes foot=yes horse=yes etc.
when nothing forbids them)

But access=no  motor_vehicle=yes  make much sense if that's the
intention (horse=no too, not speaking of elephants).

Cheers
Cordialement,

André.