Thank you all for the explanations.
I think that my issue might have to do with UK English usage.  I  would
never call a road tunnel a "culvert", I  typically only work and map in a
rural setting and a culvert is only a passage way for water, and is only
used at a road or path crossing.

While a ford is something shared by a road and a stream one is still under
the other, but the rules for rendering assume that the road is underneath.
In the OSM ford wiki <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ford> one
photograph shows the path on top of the ford using the stepping stones.
The Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culvert>reference cited on the OSM
culvert wiki <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tunnel=culvert> only
shows stream examples.
Therefore, why not have a rendering rule for culverts in the same way there
is a rendering for a ford?

This has been an interesting thought process and I'm probably just lazy not
wanting to split a watercourse twice and add a tag to the way as opposed to
snapping a road or watercourse node and adding a tag to the node.

Keep mapping