Actually, that can easily happen if you have 1½ but some software wants to
convert it to simple ASCII and doesn't add a space between the 1 and 1/2 when
converting the ½. While if the original text already is "1 1/2" this doesn't
happen.

Obviously, in a perfect world, where everything is Unicode and stays Unicode, I
would agree that using ½ is better than 1/2. Unfortunately, we still have to
often assume that a string will get converted from Unicode into ASCII or some
specific ANSI codepage.