Yes Martin, same thing – but these are the big obvious ones. These are easy to
say “that’s a bus station”, but what I’m trying to get at is that when you
scale them down in size there is no clear line to be drawn when a bus station
turns into a regular bus stop. When should the big icon become a small icon?

For example Lysaker:
http://www.banenor.no/contentassets/3902666056fd47deb0e404589dda391f/oversikt-lysaker-520.jpg.
 The two split roads are each lined with multiple bus stops. It’s a major bus
stop where almost all traffic to and from Oslo will stop, It has 7 waiting
positions labeled A-G. It’s also combined with an important train station. Its
half way between a street stop and a bus terminal. This is similar to what
Johnparis mentions
(http://artheme.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/8-L15Est-FortAubervilliers-2.jpg).

In the next mail you say “I would expect an area” and that’s what I’m thinking
too in terms of defining a difference between an on-street-stop and a separate
dedicated bus area – the size and importance is a different thing and I feel we
are trying to jam multiple concepts into one un-unifiable terminology.

I’m going to be bold and say remove amenity=bus_station and replace it with
landuse=public_transport + public_transport=bus_station (and subsequently
public_transport=train and so on). “Regular” bus stops “in the wild” would then
just be relations with public=transport=platform as the only area-object.

I’ll have to mention that I am by no means an expert on the OSM public
transport scheme (any of them), mostly because pt is my daytime job and I can’t
be bothered doing it in my free time as well ☺.