> Road level sounds to me like how high it is. Or on which level in a
> complex crossing with fly-overs and stuff.
> Beside that, would it be a problem to add a key for generic road
> classification while still keeping the old values? Users could use the
> generic classification by preference, and default to the older tags.
> (I'm not voting, just thinking loud)

No, road_level is an administrative level like admin_level is to places.
It is not to be confused with level=## and layer=## tags.

There are 6 different tiers of classified roads in Russia: M, R,
national A, provincial A, K, provincial minor. In road_level system, you
can express them as M=0, R=1, national A=2, provincial A=3, K=4,
minor=5. This system also allows non-primary motorways, which are not
expressible in current tagging scheme, (such as metropolitan motorways
in Spain) as you can combine highway=motorway with road_level=## tag.

It can also be generalised to railways. railway=rail where road_level
corresponds to

0=high speed railroad (vmax>250km/h, no level crossings, fully
signalled), 1=passenger-rated mainline, 2=freight-rated mainline,
3=branch line, 4=mining railroad.

I forgot stating an important detail. This is backwards compatible.
highway=road without road_level=* would default to unclassiffied unknown
road just like now.