> The reason why it is done differently is not an educated decision but the
> result of poor presets and mappers filling them in without further reflection.

Sure, but uneducated decisions reveal a lot about people's intuitions
and interests – two factors that deserve to be taken into account.

When mappers can fill in data without further reflection and still
produce useful results (which I argue is the case here) then that
strikes me as a huge usability win!

> It is also a result of how the tags have been introduced

It's true that brand was introduced later than name, and that it has
been at a disadvantage due to rendering support and the key's history.

That's probably not a coincidence, though. I assume it was introduced
and adopted more slowly precisely because not that many people were
interested in making the distinction in the first place.