I've noticed there are 9377 cases of type=route tagged on ways instead of
relations:

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/type=route

I've been unable to find any documentation of this tagging approach on the
wiki.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route#Route_types_.28route.29
seems to indicate that certain route=* values can be tagged on ways in
addition to relations, specifically ferry, mtb, and nordic_walking.

But even in that case, type=route on a way seems to be wrong?

An overpass query excluding these 3 route types shows that the majority of
these 9377 ways don't fall into these specific route categories:
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/yTU

So my question is, is this type of tagging actually supported by data
consumers, or are these 9000 tagging errors?

Cheers,

Thorsten