On 19/05/18 13:06, osm.tagg...@thorsten.engler.id.au wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, 19 May 2018 12:33
To: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools

Think I have raised this before but not come to any firm conclusion
myself.

I think that tagging

seasonal=summer

intermittent= yes

leads to confusion. Is the summer flow intermittent? Or is ther
regular
summer flow with intermittent flow at other times of year?

It may be better to tag

seasonal:intermittent=summer

or

seasonal=summer

seasonal:intermittent=winter;autumn;spring
I'm not sure if the two tags need to or should be mixed like that.

It might be better to just allow time frames (seasons as well as month ranges)
in addition to yes/no values for both seasonal and intermittent.

So:

seasonal=summer
intermittent=summer

means it's only flowing in the summer (from seasonal), and then only
intermittent.

or

seasonal=summer
intermittent=autumn-spring or autumn;winter;spring or march-november (maybe
mar-nov ?)

I like that. Month ranges I have not thought of .. seasons can vary from year
to year so I like that vagueness.

means it's always flowing in the summer, and intermittent the rest of the year.

The concept of seasons becomes less meaningful the closer you get to the equator, so allowing month based
time frames would make sense. Maybe also the concept of tropical "wet" or "dry" season.
Perhaps "monsoon" season as well in areas where that is a prominent weather pattern.

"Monsoon" does not say if it is the wet part or dry part of the monsoon. "Wet" and
"dry are seasonal values in use and can be used for monsoonal areas.