Hm... thinking...had't thought about public transport...

If the vehicle justt does another route elsewhere, I think you still have a
roundtrip, and a separate route elsewhere.
If it's a roundtrip, and a linked branch which is done twice: first
role=forward and second role=backward, you still have a roundtrip.

I don't see how and for whom declaring this roundtrip=no would be useful.

>From the other end, you may see a route with braches and possibly a
circular part as not a roundtrip.What would be the use of tagging such a
complex routerelation as roundtrip=yes?
If a part is roundtrip and you want to express that, you would need to
split the route and tag the roundtrip part separately - but then it's
already obvious that this part is roundtrip.

Maybe I lack imagination, but I stil do not see any addeed value in this
key!

> On 25/05/18 15:48, Peter Elderson wrote:
>
> What is the use of the key:roundtrip?
> Explanations just say
> roundtrip <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:roundtrip>=yes/no
> (optional)
> Use roundtrip=no to indicate that a route goes from A to B. Use
> roundtrip=yes to indicate that the start and finish of the route are at the
> same location (circular route). It seems rather pointless to tag an
> obvious a-b route with roundtrip=no, or an abvious roundtrip with
> roundtrip=yes.
> Why would you tag an a-b route as roundtrip=yes, or a closed route as
> roundtrip=no?
>

> A route that is 'closed' can be a non round trip.
> For example the bus only does one circuit then goes on to another route
> elsewhere. This can be done to provide services to both that route and to
> other parts of the community with other routes.
> There may not be enough demand for a continuous circuit to be viable.

Vr gr Peter Elderson