Not a bad suggestion, but I think the point is that the driver uses reverse
gear.

The route should validate just fine, at least in JOSM. The question is
whether others will stomp on it, which is precisely what the note=* tag is
for. You could add it to the route itself, not just the way, if you think
it's a real risk.

I still can't imagine why the gear the driver uses would make the slightest
difference to the data consumer, but if you really think it's important to
use a non-standard role, I would again suggest reverse_gear rather than
reverse. The way is not traversed in a reverse direction; it is traversed
twice in opposite directions.

It would be helpful to post the route here so we can have an idea of what
we're discussing :)

John