On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 11:07 AM, Jo <winfi...@gmail.com> wrote:

The odd thing about this route is that it serves 1 stop at the start of
> this cul-de-sac then continues and turns around. There is no other stop at
> the end, where it makes the maneuver.

A few things.

1) Once the bus gets to that stop it is then dead-ended.  It has to perform
this manoeuvre somewhere on the
housing estate where that stop is.  The only way to avoid a reverse-turn
would be to remove that stop from the
route, thereby removing that housing estate from the route.

2) Although there are no other marked stops on that housing estate, it's
effectively (and possibly officially) a
hail-and-ride route by that point.  I have seen passengers alight between
the marked stop and the turning
point.  Those passengers had mobility issues but I'm pretty sure passengers
without mobility issues would
have been allowed to alight in those places.

3) The whole housing estate is dominated by the retired.  The marked stop
is by a medium-size housing complex
with a warden.  Other, semi-detached, houses on the housing estate tend to
have retirees in them.  So, in this
case, the route wasn't designed for the benefit of a hot-shot on the
council or for a single person with COPD
(as others have suggested) but for the benefit of a large number of people.

But if we're going to a add a role for hail_and_ride and editors need to be
> adapted to accomodate this, we could include this role as well, while we're
> at it.

In iD it's possible to add tags the editor doesn't (yet) know about.  I
don't know about any of the other editors.

The question is does this tag serve a useful purpose?  For routers, it
appears not.  For data consumers looking
at a map then perhaps.  Without it the route would just appear to
dead-end.  Does it go out of service there to
turn around and passengers must therefore alight?  Is the route
incomplete?  For mappers it explains what's
happening so they don't try to "fix" something that isn't broken (mappers
should read notes but don't always
do so).

As somebody pointed out, routers would be just as happy without the reverse
role and consumers would see
no difference (as long as the reversing stub is included in the route, with
or without a role).  It's just a little
less clear to mappers what is going on without that role.

--
Paul