Well, I’ve often seen their location marked on emergency plans. I agree that
they aren’t something that should normally be rendered at most of the usual
zoom levels used for OSM, but once you get into detailed indoor mapping, I
think they are something that’s worthwhile mapping.

From: Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 12 June 2018 01:00
To: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] emergency=fire_alarm_box

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 3:50 PM, <osm.tagg...@thorsten.engler.id.au
<mailto:osm.tagg...@thorsten.engler.id.au> > wrote:

And many other places, yes… that’s why I was surprised to see that
emergency=stop_button has only been used a single time worldwide and there
don’t seem to be any other similar values in the emergency key.

The thing about emergency stop buttons is that they tend to be highly visible,
in obvious locations, and there are

often big signs. You shouldn't need a map to help you find one because they're
for rapid use in an emergency.

Maybe for petrol stations it's a good idea, if there's only one such button for
all the pumps.  But even then you're

not going to look at a map to find it, you'll look for the sign.

So I'm not surprised they haven't been mapped very often.

--

Paul