While I'm in favour of  the landcover tag, landcover=trees is also not
really true. In most forests areas I know, trees do no occupy all the
space. There is plenty of room for grass, green plants and bushes on
the ground.
In some cases there is no other vegetation and it's just sand (or ground).

So if you use landuse=forest to indicate areas with lot's of trees,
is it then OK the overlap with other landuses ? I'm thinking of trees
in a private garden, trees in a pasture, etc.

Another problem I see are the named forests with lakes inside. Typical
mapping is multi-polygon with landuse=forest + name=xxx on the outer
ring and natural=water on the inner ring. Does this mean that the lake
is no longer part of the forest or just of the area covered with trees
? So is it also no longer part of the area named xxx ? (similar
problems with grass or bushes)

Another thing I do not understand is why we evolved from natural=wood
to landuse=forest and not from natural=heath to landuse=heath. (BTW,
natural=wood is still more popular at the moment than landuse=forest),
especially if you use the argument natural means "no human are
involved". Most heaths (if not all) are only surviving because humans
burns down parts or use sheep and cows to prevent large bushes and
trees from taking over.

How do people in GIS know how many square meter of forest there is in
a country based on OSM-data ? Is the data suited for that ?
For me a forest is a place where you can do "slow" recreation: hiking,
cycling (typically MTBs), horse riding, though I understand some
forests are purely used for the timber production
How can I find those places with OSM data ?

I thought I had an answer for all the above questions when
natural=wood, landuse=forest, landcover=trees where used "properly".
But how do you solve them in world with only "landuse=forest" ?