Am 25.06.2018 um 17:12 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny:

24. Jun 2018 22:17 by dieterdre...@gmail.com <mailto:dieterdre...@gmail.com>:

    sent from a phone

        On 24. Jun 2018, at 22:00, Mateusz Konieczny
        <matkoni...@tutanota.com <mailto:matkoni...@tutanota.com>> wrote:

        It sounds like any type of shop may have discount shop variation.

    usually the term discount shop refers to shops selling food “from
    the pallet”, i.e. a smaller selection and less laborious
    presentation, tending to bigger packages, for a cheaper price.
    Sometimes also with supposed inferior quality. Nowadays also
    typically sell occasionally selected non-food stuff according to
    the season (like tools, clothing, toys, even electronics like 1
    laptop or 1 phone), but usually only from 2-3 boxes, it does not
    take significant space.

So it is shop=convenience that is selling “from the pallet” and is likely to be a cheaper?

Reading shop=discount first the kind of shop sprang to my mind that sell all kinds of stuff in the range of 1-5€. Here they often have names like 1€ Store, 99c Store etc.

Looking at usages on Overpass Turbo indeed many of the occurrences are that kind of stores (shop=variety?). But there are also a lot of supermarkets (Aldi etc) with this tag, as well as drug stores and hardware stores it seems (I had to guess from the name where I did not recognize it).

To me its obvious that the tag in its current usage is totally unusable as it does not denote at all what I can expect to buy in the store. Rather there could be a tag as discount=yes showing it's some kind of discount store along the special shop=* tag.

So I'm perfectly fine with discouraging the use on the wiki page but I would not simply call it a duplicate of shop=variety but refer to likely tags as shop=supermarket/convenience/variety.

Tobias