On 2018-06-28 13:40, Paul Allen wrote:
On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 4:40 AM, André Pirard <a.pirard.pa...@gmail.com <mailto:a.pirard.pa...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 2018-06-27 16:28, Paul Allen wrote:

[Suggestion to use amenity=charging_station + charging:bicycle=yes + charging:car=yes

    I remember having been told off by someone who doesn't like
    namespaces: "we are not doing like that" ;-)

People on this list have strong opinions.  Often those opinions are in opposition.  But whoever told you not to use namespaces is ignoring the fact that OSM already does use namespaces. If most people say yes and one person says no but presents no valid argument for his objection, ignore that one person.
OK, but they shout louder and the problem is that it's the other contributors who must ignore them. And it's painful to read replies with just what is sub-optimal in a proposition and no better alternatives towards the same goal.

    But you are, like me, perfectly right using it because we could have

    charging:bicycle:amperage=* different from charging:car:amperage=*

Do we need it?
Please understand what I meant.
I'm just demonstrating the general versatility and usefulness of namespace, not discussing amperage.
"could have things like..." if you prefer.
(But then, charging:amperage=* won't hurt and be consistent)
The connectors have a maximum amperage, which may fall off as the battery
becomes nearly full, or because battery temperature monitoring throttles the current.  If there are different physical sockets for cars and bicycles then you specify their maximum current with socket:typeX=7 or whatever.  If it's the same socket for both then you just specify the maximum current and it's down to whatever you plug in to draw as much or as little as it needs.

You'd only need the charging:bicycle:amperage if it's a common socket but with the smarts to detect what kind of thing is plugged into it and limit the maximum current accordingly.

All that said, if cars and bikes have different sockets then tagging the socket type is enough to determine if bikes can charge there.  If it's a common socket then the maximum current is enough to figure out if you can charge only a bike, or a bike and a car, or a bike, a car and a truck there.  Of course, there may be other constraints: the charging point may have a connector capable of being used by bikes, cars and trucks but trucks won't fit in the parking space and the operator doesn't like bikes taking up a socket but only permits cars.  Which puts it into the
realm of access restrictions.

--
Paul