sent from a phone

> On 1. Jul 2018, at 11:39, Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> No, my question was not about the canali in Venice, which are essentially
> waterways between islands that are inhabited.

still there are some question for those “canals” in Venice: are they
“artificial”, or are the islands (as you call them) artificial, or are both in
principle natural with some human intervention and maintenance? Maybe some are
artificial but most of natural origin? The Canale Grande is a channel or a
canal? Wouldn’t it have to be artificial in order to be a canal?

We don’t tag rivers as canals, although the current bed might have been shaped
significantly by human intervention, so I guess man_made vs. natural for
waterways is not meant to focus on the details rather than the overall picture

Cheers,
Martin