I don't think this route qualifies as a "nautical channel" but insights and
new ideas are always welcome. I don't want to use any whitewater tags here
because I don't think they're appropriate. Someone mentioned not creating a
new type of route but route=canoe was in use before I came along and it
perfectly describes this water and land route.

By the way, for your information bicycles are strictly forbidden to use any
part of this trails system even in winter when the lakes are frozen. Yes,
we have bicyclists who equip their bikes with studded tires and ride the
wilderness trails when they can. I obtained GPS traces from a fellow that
rode a fat-tire bike on the Iditarod Trail, a 1,000 mile trip through the
wilds from Anchorage to Nome, in mid-winter. I added a bicycle=no tag to
the route relation.

For now, I'm going to tag those untagged ways with route=canoe and then if
some new development or an alternate tagging scenario presents itself
later, I'll come back and change it.

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 8:14 AM Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is becoming virtually identical to the discussion re Nautical
>> Channels!
>>
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-June/037679.html
>>
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-July/037728.htm
>> <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-July/037728.html>
>>
> This is no coincidence. I discovered the "nautical channel" issue in the
> Venice lagoon when looking for inspiration. I thought that the canoe routes
> were similar to navigation channels there.
> :-)

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand