Hi Christoph,

> * inventing new tags so far not used and documented is fine - but you
> should document them.
> * adding new uses to secondary tags (like using surface=* or usage=* on
> features it is so far not commonly used on) is also fine if it matches
> previous use in meaning.
> * adding new uses to existing primary tags is highly sensitive and
> should usually be discussed first.  Creating a new tag is almost always
> a better idea.

I merely agree with all those points except there is no primary tags but
only tags.
What is primary for a given mapper will be secondary for someone else,
despite so called primary tags are more used than any others.
A tag may be primary for a specific render but secondary for routing. Then,
saying a tag is primary is tagging for render or routing or any particular
purpose.

Given example is waterways in tunnel
If I look for waterways, then waterway=* will be the main tag I'll look for
If I look for tunnels, then I'll look for tunnel=* and don't even look at
waterway=*

Then it should be really simpler to extend values on existing tags when
it's relevant (which is the only criteria)
Defining primary and secondary tags just put pointless barriers on
refinement process and I don't see any benefit.

All the best

François