Christoph, you are right that some loosely defined areas like rainforests
may not have exact boundaries. We can find limitations and issues in
defining/naming/linking pretty much anything, e.g. see discussion for
"[Tagging] place nodes for continents". That said, in a large number of
cases, it is beneficial to data consumers to have a 1:1 mapping, e.g. for
examples presented by Peter and François.  We do not have to extend that
approach to objects that it won't work well for.

So if it makes sense, it is ok to have a "concept-level" relation that
defines common properties, such as shared wikidata ID, perhaps a relevant
Unesco Heritage ID, a URL, or the hours of operation. It would be a bit
silly to repeat that info on every part of the location.

And for other types of objects, especially the ones without a clear
outline, perhaps it may not make sense to even add wikidata IDs at all.