I also agree with the location tag as it say it is underwater, while the
other method say that the path is made of "water" (as it would be made of
gravel or asphalt in other places).

Note that the tag layer=-1 don't mean anything by itself (if there is no
other data at the same location) as it is a relative tag (layer -1 means
below other element with layer 0 or above). And as you are not below the
water but in it, you can't technically use that to indicate underwater
element.  One example of feature below the water is the "Channel Tunnel"
between France and England, where it is technically in the rocks below the
sea, that's not the same thing that you want here. :-)