On 30/08/18 22:52, Paul Allen wrote:
On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 1:32 PM, dktue <em...@daniel-korn.de <mailto:em...@daniel-korn.de>> wrote:

    have a look at this wall from the waterside [1]: It's probably 3
    meter high. On the otherhand, from the other side [2] it's only
    about 80cm high. What is the height I should insert into the
    height-tag?

Map it as barrier=retaining_wall, with the lower side on the right side of the way direction, as per
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier=retaining_wall

The wiki page makes no mention of how to specify the height.  You'll probably have to invent height:low_side and height:high_side for it.  Or something like that. Yes, height:left and height:right fit better with the "lower side on right" convention but is hard for people using the query feature of the map to interpret.

I expect several people will be along with better names.  And others will be along to say you shouldn't specify the height at all.  If a concensus ever arises (in about 14 months, going by other threads) then you can use it
and amend the wiki page.

Or you could try the ele tag :)