Hi,

I'm planning to map some qanats, underground channels for conveying
groundwater that have vertical excavation shafts visible from the
surface/aerial imagery (see proposal for example).

This was previously discussed in 2013.
Since then, the role of different waterway tags has been clarified, which
indicates that waterway=canal is appropriate, combined with subtag
canal=qanat and tunnel=flooded.

Qanat shafts are still a little tricky as there are specific tags for
mineshaft and water_well, but neither of these are really appropriate, and
don't have a generic version.
I'm proposing to use a generic man_made=excavation with subtag
excavation=qanat_shaft.

Here's the full proposal. Thanks to user emes, who drafted the original
version in 2013.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Qanat

This email has two purposes: it would be great to have the formal proposal
discussed and approved.
But if consensus is impossible, I'll be mapping anyway, so I'm hoping for
some feedback/alternative names before I go ahead and map 100s of them.

Thanks in advance,

Joseph