I would also think that the bicycle part would be somewhat different (more
split due to oneway traffic for bicycles on cycleways, whereas foot routes
can take the shortest path in both directions), so I think the best
approach is 2 route relations with quite some overlap.
It is a bit annoying that you then have 2 OSM objects for the same real
world 'concept' and I'm afraid there is no completely satisfying solution
for this.
Over here in Belgium bicycle routes and foot routes are always
'segregated'. The numbered foot route networks are also at a more granular
scale than the numbered cycle route networks.

Polyglot