What if there are 2 groups that have designated access (e.g. foot & bicycle) ?
Then we have to start the discussion of the semi-colon separator all
over again, during which someone will propose to move the value back
to the key (or as part of a key). and we end up with
bicycle=designated; foot=designated again (or
access:bicycle=designated;access;foot=designated).

The access:xxx might be a better solution imho.

m.