In fact, this is a problem with software solution not a tag. the
interpretation is a toll access need to wait a part of time. But if you
have badge access you don't wait... and if there is lot of traffic you are
depandent of traffic... waiting time is not for me an argument and a
limitation caused by existing key value but just the interpretation. My 2
cents comment is in relation with toll because i have an rfid badge and I
don't wait a minute. I just slow down to 30km/h to cross the toll booth.

problem is on micro-mapping schema and specifing object with speed crossing
badge, crossing with credit card, crossing with money...

That same problem with traffic transport. If you pocess an abonment you can
save time, more than else if it payed with CD and more than other if it
payed with money.

An other work is the number of rapid access because if there only one speed
toll an lot of traffic you need wait a time anyway.

In my opinion, the best solution is on number of rapid access toll vs
classic access in same solution of parking numbers of places for specific
condition.

for information barrier <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:barrier>=
lift_gate <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dlift_gate> and
fee <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fee>=yes
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:fee%3Dyes> can be set on paint and
barrier=toll_booth can be a polygon with intersection on your highway.

In fact the problem is only an parent key of toll because it's assimilate
to a barrier but this is just an obligatory access point for users
I think it's better solution to set toll_booth in highway because it's
specific
In railway you payed with resevation on railway track between to point A to
B on time. Did you learn about toll_booth on railway???
historically  there is also barrier=entrance but you can understand in this
case there is no physical object. so barrier or not??? That same with
barrier=no Isn't it?

Other problem are using lift_gate and toll_booth with same point... that
schema is problematic.

Can you proposed solution with twice type access

exemple for french access to A709 in France
http://montrajet.deplacement-a9.fr/uploads/images//point-44/picto-7-barriere-de-peage-baillargues.jpg
you can see 1 rapid access right and left
in opposite direction there is 3 speed access left (for vehicule with
specifi maxheight) and 2 speed access on right (for increase traffic speed
for hgv)

that is just my reflection on toll_booth.

For you proposed key, I think you can cut element in twice

highway=grantry+toll=yes and add you speed conditon or stop conditon and it
respond to your case.
grantry is also a proposal
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Gantry

you can set all you need on point in intersection with gantry

*gantry *can be also use for direction information or message with
electronic information

The problem, and I think you understand where I want go, would be on
combination of information on object in same position.

Cordialement,
Jérôme Seigneuret