You are absolutely correct that “language=xx” would be the simplest
tag. And it was proposed back in 2009 (though never progressed to a
vote):
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Language_of_this_element

But “language=*” is now being used for the language spoken or taught
at a school, eg language=Korean or language:en=main, so we can’t use
that tag without confusion. See:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/language#values
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/language%3Aen#values

The best viable solution is to use the same tag on administration
boundaries and POIs, even though it is not perfect.

Do you think we should change the name of the tag to remove the word
default; eg language_format=* instead, for both boundaries and POIs?

Joseph