On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 11:09 AM Bryan Housel <bhou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I actually mentioned the issue in Milano.
>
> Essentially `traffic_sign`, `traffic_sign:forward` and
> `traffic_sign:backward` need to be treated as "object" tags as things are
> now.
>
> Let’s just do `traffic_sign=*` and consider the others an unfortunate
> mistake that can go away.

I'm still against using forward/backward on nodes, it really feels like a
hacky way to avoid using a relation (up there with using ref=* on ways to
describe routes), which would disambiguate things without being so brittle
just because a way reversed, and handle more complex situations like "right
turn permitted without stopping" sign below a "stop" sign, or allow a data
consumer to be able to display a diagram indicating which ways a stop
applies to (handy if you encounter, say, a six way intersection with a four
way stop).

I honestly don't understand why, ten years since it's introduction as OSM's
third basic primitive, there's still this weirdly unnatural aversion to
relations, even though they're quite a powerful primitive in our toolbox.