sent from a phone

> On 9. Oct 2018, at 23:03, yo paseopor <yopaseo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> for this reason the solution of tag the traffic signs ON the way it's the
> best way to do it. Traffic signs are relative to their ways (because if the
> way does not exist the existance of traffic sign is non-sense). Ways have
> direction, also their nodes can have this reference.

to me there is no point in mapping traffic signs on ways. Traffic signs are
punctual items, their supposed effect (our interpretation what they imply for
which way) is already mapped with established tags on the way. It is more
accurate and more useful (for finding problems and inconsistencies) to have the
signs mapped as nodes.

Let me give you an example: I do find it helpful to map maxspeed signs on nodes
(doing it at the side of the highway because this implies the direction),
because it helps to verify and maintain the speed limit data on the highway. If
these were replaced by tags on the highway it would be less useful, because
they would merely repeat the information that maxspeed already gives, and you
won’t have neither the confirmation of repeated max speed signs nor would you
know until where a later discovered sign with a different maxspeed is “at most”
valid. Every time you discover a new sign, with the tag on the way method you
start again “from scratch”.

Adding traffic sign ids to ways makes only sense if you mistrust the osm tags,
e.g. because there aren’t the exact tags you would need to describe the effect
of a sign. My suggestion would be to improve/amend the system of human readable
tags in this case, so that they fulfill your local requirements.

I do recognize there can be some usefulness in both information (actual signs
and their position=nodes, and the actual signs that led to certain tags being
applied on an object (=ways)). I am not sure it is a good idea to use the same
tags for it.

Cheers,
Martin