Hi,

On 10/12/2018 12:54 PM, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> I agree that this problem calls for a general solution, as it's not
> specific to opening hours.

The "problem" in my eyes is people even wanting to store more than 255
characters in a tag value. Don't do it.

Yes I can see how use cases can be constructed that "need" this but I
think it is perfectly ok that some things cannot be mapped in 100%
detail. Just like we have a limited resolution (of about one
centrimetre) and we're usually happy to approximate a curve with a few
nodes and not 100. Do we *really* need to record when a shop is open
8-18h except on the third Wednesday in even months, if that Wednesday
does not happen to be before or after a public holiday?

Or can we afford to just skip mapping that detail?

> We need to make sure that this can be implemented in a key-agnostic
> manner, though

Why, so that people are free to invent any number of keys to hold
arbitrary length values? Reality check! Tags are supposed to be readable
and writable by human beings. If you find you need > 255 characters to
describe opening hours, then you've left that terrain already. Why not
write Tobias' original example as

H4sIABrJwFsAA/MqzdMNTi2wUvDN1w1OVDA0sDIw0DW0AJLWXF4wueBSmIQRWMIvv0zXN7EIpEkn
pFQnJEPHrQhZhY6CoSmYY46qHGEBxBzHgiKgRCXYcmQTjA10oAZYoKpDNsAYRQLNhf7JJQRNBatB
NxEiiGIaFwARtRivJAEAAA==

then, only takes 179 bytes ;)

Bye
Frederik