The ID preset is a separate issue; presumably this would be easily changed
by the ID developer once the tag is agreed.

The "diplomatic" subtag already exists under amenity=embassy, so creating a
top-level amenity=diplomatic suits the logic side of my brain, but I don't
feel strongly about this. Both Warin's and Martin's arguments make sense to
me.

In either case, all the consulates would need to be retagged (which I think
is a good idea). So the only question is whether to leave embassies as
separate animals. Either way the *current usage* of amenity=embassy (as
documented in the wiki) would need an overhaul, so perhaps a new tag would
make things clearer.

I guess this means I am leaning towards Warin's argument. There are only
445 objects tagged amenity=embassy (if I read Taginfo correctly) so this
would be pretty simple.