On Thursday 15 November 2018, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> > Mapping bays with polygons is always non-verifiable to a large
> > extent. Mapping bays with polygons as you describe it above is
> > always completely non-verifiable and amounts to pure (low quality)
> > label painting which should not be done and should not be
> > incentivized by maps with a mapper feedback goal.
>
> I'm afraid that I'm not following this argument very well. What about
> a bay is 'completely non-verifiable?'

The geometry.

These geometries:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/544856564
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/119562181

are completely non-verifiable.  They add data but they does not add any
substantial information about the verifiable geographic reality to the
database that could not be represented with a single node.

With these geometries:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/372986131

a large portion of the geometry and as a result the derived way_area are
completely non-verifiable.  Also here a properly placed node would
together with the coastline transport all the verifiable information
about the geographic reality there is.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/