> ... There is a short section of the Trans-Alaska pipeline that crosses a
well-known fault line where it is attached to slides to allow lateral
movement in case of an earthquake. I split the pipeline way and added a
note to the section but that probably isn't visible to most data consumers.
Any ideas?

OMG, Thank You Dave!

I love ontological edge cases -  and this is certainly good one. :-)

I'd add something like "Deliberate Operator Movement" or "Directed
Movement" or some such to my description. These sort of joints are quite
common once one is cued to notice them.

A friend of mine pointed on that a clear distinction was the pure
unidirectional ( along one path ) of rail-lines, whether it's road trains,
maglevs, or rail roads. There's no up/down or side ways component except
through a split, curve, or join in the track, where in the case of a
movable gantry there is usually a lifting, rotating, or conveying occurring
in addition to along the track axis. And as an additional note, regardless
of the type of point of contact ( rail, tire, magnetic ) the term for what
directs the travel is a 'track' ( unfortunately already occupied by the
road term ).

> If it is moveable it is a gantry crane.  A gantry per se can be immobile,
right?

The immobile case ( like the fixed support for signs ) isn't that common,
as far as I could tell - in the sign case, the immobile case was more
commonly more simply called a 'bridge', probably because the spanning part
on even movable gantries and cranes is called a bridge.

> Maybe not a rail line in the conventional sense, but I tagged an
(unfortunately disused) children's train in Ashgabat
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/429019713 as a railway even though it
goes around and around, or used to, and has no destination.

Another excellent case. Although it might be said t the origin and
destination merely have the same location, and differ along time and
direction path, , and as I noted, it's primary feature is as a conveyance,
not 'positioning' something for an action. Here the 'rails are rails' in
two uses (
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/0001-dh-thornaby-roundhouse.jpg
), but only one is the 'conventional sense' of a rail line - the other rail
is for positioning.

Michael Patrick