On Friday 07 December 2018, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> > We have however many other tags where OSM-Carto recently added or
> > changed rendering in ways that provide mapping incentives agaist
> > the established meaning of the tags.
>
> Can you link issues opened on issue tracker that
>
> I looked at it and I failed to find any that would be opened
> recently.

I have not recently followed all of the changes and i mostly stoppend
reporting problems i see because when i did so these comments were
universally dismissed and had no influence.

The changes i refer to with my comment are in particular the
inflationary addition of new POI symbols many of which have been chosen
without considering the applicability to represent the feature type in
question across different cultures and different geographic settings.
Many of these represent just the European urban cliché version of it.

The other group of changes i had in mind is the abuse of way_area
filtering as an universal cartographic importance rating, in particular
for point label placement.  The resulting initiatives of label drawing
through non-verifiable polygon painting can be observed right now.  And
tourism=attraction was one of the first tags to follow this principle
in OSM-Carto so it is kind of a forerunner in that regard.

I don't really see much of a chance of a change in direction here (in
other words:  it will likely get worse before it maybe gets better) but
i none the less consider it important to point out that this is
something that is visible right now to people who approach this with an
open mind and open eyes.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/