> On Dec 8, 2018, at 2:31 AM, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I would recommend drawing a separate “way” for the highway. I imagine that
> the route taken by vehicles or people walking is a few meters off of the
> center of the waterway, and perhaps a little straighter. If you are coarsest
> tracing the waterway and road, then the two ways might share most of their
> nodes.

As soon as I got to your “I imagine that” I decided you’ve no experience in
this and I should discount anything that follows.

In the desert southwest of the United States where I was raised they call the
usually dry water courses a “wash”. And they are often used for vehicle travel
when dry which is almost all of the time. In hilly or mountainous areas the
width of the waterway is often no wider than most vehicles so there is no place
“a few meters off the center of the waterway”. And my experience in
walking/hiking along them is you are often in the middle of the most recent
route of flood waters as the walking is easier there (less debris, etc.).

 I don’t like the OSM mapping options but what I’ve settled on is a single way
tagged as:

ford=yes
highway=track
intermittent=yes
surface=sand
waterway=stream

Some of the washes have names. Some of the tracks have names. Sometimes they
both have names and occasionally the two names differ. I haven’t a solution for
that.

It would be nice if there was a way to tag the intermittent flow as ephemeral
but that has been “bike shedded” to death here before. I know/hope that anyone
local will have a pretty good idea about whether or not there is likely to be
water in the drainage (a summer cloudburst locally or in the adjacent higher
ground) and be smart enough not to enter it for the couple of hours that a
water event is likely to last.

Cheers!