On 29/12/18 22:52, Christoph Hormann wrote:
On Saturday 29 December 2018, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
Have you seen any areas of mangroves tagged over water? That is,
outside of the coastline or over natural=water or waterway=riverbank
areas?
[...]
I think this discussion has already been made in the past.  The majority
of mangroves that are mapped are mapped inside the coastline (on
land) - primarily because the outer edge of the mangroves is well
verifiable while the high water mark on ground level inside the
mangroves is not.  Formally it would depend on if you consider the high
water mark to refer to ground level or canopy level.

I think that is a mistake.

OSM tries to map the high water level, to me that is where the water is at high
tide, without consideration of vegetation.
In a mangrove system the high water mark is closest to the land side of the mangroves - not the water side of the mangroves.

I'd think at least 80% of the mangroves are within the high water mark.

I would like to be able to render mangroves with a fill color, as
with wetland-swamp, a similar environment. But this will case a large
change in the appearance of the coastline if many areas have been
tagged outside of the coastline, over the water.
Rendering mangroves with a fill color has already been discussed in:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/1497
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/2025