Hi eveyone,

Am 21.12.2018 um 19:55 schrieb Peter Elderson:
Well, in Nederland I'm through, got them all. To initiate a rendering on osm-carto the usage should increase by some 500+ (now on 1400+). I need Germany or Italy!

While on vacation I have mapped trail heads in the US pretty much the way Kenny has described it. I've never come across the trail head tag so far. In the US trail heads I have encountered were often marked as such having some signpost giving information on length, difficulty, accessibility etc. And often there was a road sign saying "xyz trail head". Often there is a single or very few trails departing there and each trail only has one or two access points that are called a trail head. (disclaimer: I am sure there are other situations but these are the ones I have encountered while on vacation).

In Germany, though, the concept of trail head is not so widely used for hiking trails. Very often trails are interconnected forming a mesh and are accessible from various locations. What we rather have are marked parking lots called "Wanderparkplatz", i. e. "hiking parking lot". There is even an official traffic sign: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Zeichen_317_-_Wandererparkplatz,_StVO_1992.svg. The more fancy ones have a map of the surroundings showing all hiking trails of the area, possibly with length, hiking duration and difficulty. Often there is a waste bin, sometimes a pickinick table, very often it's only a few parking spots off the road crossing a forest. These hiking parking lots are very often not dedicated to a certain trail, though. Often you find them in places where there are footways but no marked or named hiking trails at all.

As far as I see we don't currently designate these hiking parking lots as such. They are just amenity parking connected to some paths/hiking routes plus possibly having an information board mapped. I wouldn't be opposed somehow tagging the Wanderparkplatz designation, not sure a highway-tag would be right with the amenity, though.

Having this said there are of course also some trail heads in Germany that more fit to what I described for the US or what you might have in the Netherlands. But they are the minority here I would say.

all the best for the new Year
Tobias