In Belarus we have many canals which redirect part of a river flow into
another river and they are much larger than ditches but are not navigable.
Also hen a stream is straightened you would call that a ditch, but when a
river is straightened you would call it a canal.even if it is not navigable.
So to say a canal can be any size but carring useful water.