On 14/01/19 09:07, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
Wow, so much for me naively thinking that caravan was a universal word! Should know better by now :-)

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 at 21:58, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com <mailto:pla16...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    However, there does appear to be a better term.  From
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorhome
    (the bold emphasis is mine):

    Motorhomes are part of the much larger associated group of *mobile
    homes* which includes
    caravans, also known as tourers, and static caravans.

    So mobile_home appears to cover it.

Not really, sorry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_home: "A *mobile home* (also *trailer*, *trailer home*, *house trailer*, *static caravan*, *residential caravan*) is a prefabricated <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabrication>structure, built in a factory on a permanently attached chassis before being transported to site (either by being towed or on a trailer). Used as permanent homes <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home>, or for holiday or temporary accommodation, they are left often permanently or semi-permanently in one place"

It would cover those things that slide in and out of utility vehicles and act as accommodation.

I think the 'mobile home' is an acceptable term to cover the lot. Why is it unacceptable? The emphasise on 'permanent' I think is wrong, but there is enough vagueness to accept that 'mobile' means mobile.