Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 18:11:20 +0000
From: Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com>
To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
        <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Drain vs. ditch

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 18:05, EthnicFood IsGreat <
ethnicfoodisgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Then what would you call a natural waterway that is too small to be a
stream?

Two possibilities.
1) A stream.

2) Not worth mapping.

Take your pick. :)

--
Paul

Well, call it micromapping if you want, but I've mapped many of these in the midwestern US.  I do most of my mapping in the country, and sometimes these are the only features to map in a certain area without the map being blank.  I have been tagging them as drains, because they are too small to be called a stream, and they are not artificial, so they are not ditches.  (At least in the OSM sense.)  Many of them start out as being just a swale in a farmer's field, where they are usually intermittent.  Many of them are named.

Mark