On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 at 10:42, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> “simply map them by what they're called Cape Agulhas is a =cape, Cape York
> Peninsula is a =peninsula.”
>
> That only works in English (and closely-related languages).

But isn't OSM supposed to work in English (& British English at that)? :-)

> This would also lead to multiple tags like natural=headland, natural=point
> etc for the same feature;

Why would it?

If I've decided to go right round the coast of Australia & map all the
capes, headlands etc & find one that someone has tagged as =point, I'm not
going to also tag it as =headland. If it's existing tagging doesn't really
suit eg the low, sandy Southport Spit is tagged as =headland, I'd probably
change the tag, but I wouldn't put an extra one in.

I agree with Christoph, natural=cape should be tagged on a node to
> represent an extreme point of land, such as a cape, headland, point etc.

No argument!

> Peninsula should mean an area of land near the coast that is mostly
> surrounded by water, as the etymology shows (“pen-insula” = “almost-island”)

A reasonably sizable area, yes

> Some names capes, like “Cape Cod” in Massachusetts, can be tagged with a
> natural=cape node at the point that extends furthest into the water. This
> is useful for nautical charts and mapping the coastline. But “Cape Cod” is
> also a long, thin peninsula, and this could also be mapped with a node at
> the center of the area of land.

That's right - either as a node or an area

> But the natural=cape of “Land’s End” in Cornwall, England probably is only
> a natural=cape at the extreme point, since the whole Cornwall peninsula is
> not called Land’s End (if I understood English geography correctly)

Perfectly correct:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land%27s_End#/media/File:Cornwall_UK_mainland_location_map.svg

"Land's End" is the cape which forms the western-most point of the Cornwall
(Cornish?) Peninsula

> Some peninsulas will be called something else, like Point Reyes in
> California.

& apparently Point Reyes is a cape at the tip of Point Reyes Peninsula
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Reyes

Thanks

Graeme