Hi Tobias,

thank you for keeping the discussion. One extra thing I have just learned is that non-numerical level refs are not-so-uncommon in the US, hence should be covered by a tool to be helpful there.

> I do not want to sound so combative or negative here - to reason
> for why a new tag may be useful, I just need to describe the problem.
> I want us all to be on the same page.

I am still not yet sure about where we are starting from and where we are going to.

Typical examples would be for me:
https://openlevelup.net/?l=-2#20/55.68178/12.55260
https://openlevelup.net/?l=-0.5#18/51.23423/6.77858

I do consider both to be SIT compliant.

In both cases there is no building outline (at least no canonical one; footprint on the street level is different from the total of passenger visible area is different from the area covered by concrete foundations and so on).

In particular, there is no object that could or should carry tags applying to all involved objects. Given that one often cannot even decide for a station complex whether it is one or multiple stations, there often cannot be a global object responsible for the structure as a whole.

The half numbered levels for the small mezzanines fit intuitively into the whole level order -2, -1, 0 as signposted by the operator. Thus there also is no need for an explicitly declared order on a global object.

There is an obvious order of the levels there by reading them as fractional numbers. And all tools I am aware of (OpenLevelUp, JOSM, OpenStationMap and others) can work with this sequence of levels.

So I do support to have new extra tags that keeps whatever important but yet missing information.

But I do not see yet why there should be a mapping of levels to integers at all. Clarifying this point probably would help to understand whether there is a preferred choice for 0, whether missing levels need to be modeled at all and what to do with small mezzanines: Shall they trigger to have a gap for them in a potentially large building complex? Can disjoint mezzanines between larger levels get the same level designation to keep the index dense?

Best regards,

Roland